Do you talk to yourself?
Of course, you do. We all have an inner dialogue that we hopefully use to make us better, stronger, and more resilient individuals.
The martial artist and actor, Bruce Lee used to say, "Don't speak negatively about yourself, even as a joke. Your body doesn't know the difference. Words are energy and they cast spells, that's why it's called spelling. Change the way you speak about yourself and you can change your life."
In addition to having a helpful benefit on your mind, positive self-talk can also: reduce pain, improve your cardiovascular health, decrease stress, enhance your immune system, and generally increase your life span.
Here are 5 Simple Questions Successful People Ask Themselves Every Day from Abby Perkins:
1. Am I in the right niche? - This question allows you to gauge your motivation and passion for what you are doing. If you are losing your drive, some form of change may be in order.
2. Am I learning from my mistakes? - The road to success is paved with failure. We all make mistakes, but the message here is are we learning from those mistakes so we don't repeat them? It's important to debrief after your errors so you can determine what went wrong and make the necessary changes to prevent the same missteps in the future.
3. Am I consistently pushing my own boundaries? - Constantly creating new and bolder goals will keep your passion high and fix your sights on something that should be a stretch for you.
4. What is my game plan? - While you are constantly striving to reach your goals, you should also take time to improve your efficiencies. Spend time developing your map of how you will get from where you are, to where you want to be.
5. Do I believe I can do this? - The most important ingredient to success is the belief you can accomplish the goal. This belief is played out in your brain every day and often depends on how you talk to yourself. Having the knowledge and physical skills to be successful is one thing. However, having the belief and passion for your dream are vastly more important than anything else you possess!
Please leave me a comment about your inner dialogue and the questions you ask yourself every day.
Author & Motivational Speaker
Terry is a sought after speaker who believes in the power of a story to motivate, inspire, and help others lead their uncommon and extraordinary lives. By combining his eleven-year cancer journey with his diverse business, athletic coaching, and hostage negotiating expertise, he delivers compelling yet relatable presentations for conferences, on-line events, panels, meetings, and seminars.