Sustainable Excellence Xtras #97 - The Importance of Surrounding Yourself With People Who Will Give You Different Points of View
As a leader, what type of people do you surround yourself with?
Human beings gravitate toward people that are like them. We like to hang around with others who look like us, act like us, and have similar experiences to us.
But, are there benefits to having people around you who don't look like you, who act differently than you, who have different experiences than you? The short answer is, Yes.
Good and effective leaders surround themselves with different points of view and listen to understand different perspectives.
According to an online article in Substack (Blaschak 4/30/2023), here are five reasons you should surround yourself with complementary (not complimentary) people:
1. Competence - It allows you to focus on your unique strengths. No matter how good you are as a leader, you can't possibly know everything. Seek counsel and guidance from those who have an expertise that is different from your own.
2. Confidence - You'll look like a better leader. When you allow your team to focus on their expertise and strength, they will perform better and provide greater value to the company.
3. Candor - You'll get what you need to hear versus what you want to hear. A competent advisor allows you to see blind spots you might not have seen if you surrounded yourself with "yes" people.
4. Curiosity - You'll learn new things. Leaders who seek out diverse ideas, views, and perspectives are open to learning from those who might have opinions and experiences different from their own.
5. Connection - It's not about you. Leaders who surround themselves with complementary people know it's not about them.
The strongest and most productive teams are diverse and balanced in skill set, experience, and perspective.
Please check out the video below to learn more about the importance of surrounding yourself with people who will give you different perspectives.
Also, leave me a comment about other benefits you see in surrounding yourself with a diverse group of people.
Author & Motivational Speaker
Terry is a sought after speaker who believes in the power of a story to motivate, inspire, and help others lead their uncommon and extraordinary lives. By combining his eleven-year cancer journey with his diverse business, athletic coaching, and hostage negotiating expertise, he delivers compelling yet relatable presentations for conferences, on-line events, panels, meetings, and seminars.