What is the mathematical concept of Stationarity?
It's an assumption that the past is a statistical guide to the future, based on the idea that the big forces that impact a system don't change over time.
Stationarity is a wonderful, science-based concept that works right up until it doesn't. As Stanford professor, Scott Sagan says, "Things that never happened before happen all the time!"
Things that have never happened, happen all the time. Nobody thought someone would finish the mile run in under four minutes until Roger Bannister did it in 1954. Nobody thought we would ever light our homes with anything other than candles until Thomas Edison invented the light bulb in 1879, and nobody thought we would get around on anything other than a horse until Henry Ford began to mass-produce the automobile in 1913.
So how do you structure your business to take advantage of things that have never happened before?
Here are 5 Steps to implement an innovation plan so your company is ready to take advantage of new materials, programs, or services that can improve your bottom line:
1. Develop (Or Enhance) Your Innovation Strategy - According to Harvard University, every company should have an innovative strategy. Without this strategy, improvement efforts can divide departments and teams into decentralized autonomous groups that don't have the best interest of the organization in mind.
2. Set Up An Innovation Committee - Bringing a diverse and select group of professionals together with the mandate to foster a culture of innovation, will position the company to take advantage of new ideas and products as they become available.
3. Encourage Internal and External Communication - Instead of dividing and decentralizing groups within the organization, internal and external communication should be an ongoing process throughout the company.
4. Invest In New Technology and Staff Who Understand The Application of That Technology - Having the latest technology and human resources in place improves the innovation strategy by providing information for the innovation committee, along with improving communication and collaboration among groups within the company.
5. Promote and Reward Innovative Ideas - Place value on innovation within the organization by highlighting and rewarding individuals and teams who implement innovative ideas.
Having a strategy that positions your organization in a way that allows it to take advantage of new and innovative ideas just makes common sense to promote growth and ensure you are able to diversify with changing markets.
Please leave me a comment about how your organization plans and takes advantage of innovative ideas.
Author & Motivational Speaker
Terry is a sought after speaker who believes in the power of a story to motivate, inspire, and help others lead their uncommon and extraordinary lives. By combining his eleven-year cancer journey with his diverse business, athletic coaching, and hostage negotiating expertise, he delivers compelling yet relatable presentations for conferences, on-line events, panels, meetings, and seminars.