What principles guide your life?
How do we define a life principle? It is the imagined force to which the functions and qualities peculiar to living things are sometimes ascribed. These are the unbending truths by which a person of integrity lives their life.
In order to internalize your truths, you have to know yourself, you have to understand your strengths and weaknesses, and you have to discern what means the most to you and what you are willing to give your life to, with the recognition you may never obtain your goals.
One of the best ways to know yourself is to spend time with you. Take ten minutes every day and sit quietly with yourself without any devices or distractions. Let your mind wander wherever it wants to go. Pay attention to what your mind is focusing on.
While there are many principles you can choose to support the best version of your life, here are 5 life principles from Reggie Fils-Aime, the former president of Nintendo:
1. What happens to you, is up to you. Own your journey.
2. Life is hard, so dig deep. Tenacity and grit are essential qualities for living a successful life.
3. Be open to alternatives. Don't get stuck on a path that isn't leading you toward your best self. Be willing to change course.
4. Embrace your fear. Overcome fear through relentless practice and dogged determination.
5. Live in the moment and have fun along the way. There is nothing you can do about yesterday (except learn from it) and tomorrow is never promised. Enjoy the people and experiences to have along your life journey.
What do you think of Fils-Aime's principles? Are there some principles you would add or detract from?
Please leave me a comment below about your thoughts on the principles we should all consider to lead our uncommon and extraordinary lives.
Author & Motivational Speaker
Terry is a sought after speaker who believes in the power of a story to motivate, inspire, and help others lead their uncommon and extraordinary lives. By combining his eleven-year cancer journey with his diverse business, athletic coaching, and hostage negotiating expertise, he delivers compelling yet relatable presentations for conferences, on-line events, panels, meetings, and seminars.