17 Hard Things You Have To Do To Be A Great Leader
To become one of the greats of leadership, it requires some very tough and unpopular decisions. Accepting responsibility when things go wrong while giving away the credit when things go well; running headfirst into the fire when everyone else is running the other direction.
People look to you for guidance, strength, hope, inspiration, motivation, and a lot more. Leadership will have its challenging days, but the satisfaction of knowing that you are impacting and making a difference every day far outweighs any challenge on any given day.
Here are 17 things great leaders have to do:
1. You have to make the call you are afraid to make.
2. You have to get up earlier than you want.
3. You have to give more than you get right away.
4. You have to care more about others than they care about you.
5. You have to feel unsure and insecure when playing it safe seems smarter.
6. You have to lead when no one else is following you yet.
7. You have to invest in yourself even though no one else will.
8. You have to grind out the details when it’s easier to shrug them off.
9. You have to deliver results when making excuses is an option.
10. You have to search for your own explanations even when you’re told to accept the “facts.”
11. You have to make mistakes and look like an idiot.
12. You have to try and fail and try again.
13. You have to run faster even though you are out of breath.
14. You have to be kind to people who have been cruel to you.
15. You have to meet deadlines that are unreasonable and deliver results that are unparalleled.
16. You have to be accountable for your actions even when things go wrong.
17. You have to keep moving towards where you want to be no matter what’s in front of you.
From: Leadership First
Purchase my book, Sustainable Excellence, here!
Author & Motivational Speaker
Terry is a sought after speaker who believes in the power of a story to motivate, inspire, and help others lead their uncommon and extraordinary lives. By combining his ten-year cancer journey with his diverse business, athletic coaching, and hostage negotiating expertise, he delivers compelling yet relatable presentations for conferences, on-line events, panels, meetings, and seminars.